Monday, May 01, 2006

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell 5-02-06

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell 5-02-06
Everyone has a favorite hobby to do in their spare time. Some like to play golf or cards or some kind of needle work or maybe just going to the coffee shop to see what is going on. At my grandmas house she did jigsaw puzzles. Granddad would try to help and get disgusted and suggest that he could use his pocket knife to make some of the pieces to fit. Granddad collected rocks, polished them and made jewelry. He just loved sawing a rock in two just to see what it looked like inside. He enjoyed giving them away as much as he did making the rings, bracelets, and necklaces.
My mom took up drawing and painting when we all left home. I guess she needed to peace and quiet to concentrate. As it turns out she was very good. She also liked to make doll clothes. Later on she started to do crossword puzzles, which just drove Dad nuts. I have found there are two kinds of people in this world, those who like to do crossword puzzles and those who do not. Dad and Jim definitely did not. They did not even like for Mom and I to do them when they were in the room. I like to do them right before I would go to sleep. One night as I grabbed my puzzle I found that it had letters in the boxes had been filled in. They were not words, mind you; just letters, and in some boxes there were more than one letter. As I was looking at it, trying to figure out what had happened to my puzzle, I heard a little snicker. Jim said that it looked like my puzzle is already done; Jim thinks he is sooo funny.
Now Mom is currently working on jigsaw puzzles. We got her a couple of unique puzzles for Christmas. She got one done with the help of the Spence kids at the Spence Family Christmas. Now she is working on the last one we gave her. It looked really different as it came with its own frame, glue and hanger so you can hang the puzzle when it is completed. The only kicker is - it is nearly impossible to do. She has gotten lots of help from her neighbors, Janis Allen and Darlene Caraway. I understand that there are plans to call in more reinforcements this week. With any luck it should be completed by next week at this time. I helped her little it is difficult and frustrating, maybe Granddad had the right idea, now where did that pocket knife go?

No comments: