Monday, November 19, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Nov. 20, 2007

I hope most of you are ahead of me for the Thanksgiving Day Dinner. I have not done a thing for Thanksgiving yet. There are some people, who know that they are going to have a large number of people to cook for and they start way early and get their pies made, the turkey cooked, boned, sliced and the broth in a container ready for the dressing and gravy in freezer just waiting to be finished up. My turkey is still at the store along with everything else. I just now made my list and figured out what I would like to fix this year. I do not know about you - but I think that either I have been busier than ever or I am even more disorganized than normal- It just seems that I am running all the time and I get one thing done and there are ten more things yet to do. I know that I am not any busier than many of you, I am not as organized.
I have an easier Thanksgiving this year .We always have the White cousins reunion on Thanksgiving- but there are those who are unable to attend this year so I do not have as many to cook for. And to make things even easier Myrna has offered to make several items and with the two of us it will be a lot of fun. One year I prepared a duck along with a turkey and a ham. My kids really like having the duck. Another time I bought a turducken. What is a turducken you might ask- it is just what it sounds like- it is a turkey with a duck inside and a chicken inside the duck. No wonder it died! I could go on but I won’t. As strange as it sounds the turducken was really tasty. I think that it was more of a conversation topic than anything. I always like to fix something a little different just to make people wonder. This year I brought home some elk meat, I am thinking that I might try to do something with it. That way if anyone would like to try elk this will be their chance.
Different parts of the country have different traditions for the holidays- well, I guess not just different areas but families have different traditions. I like to find out if there is some food of a new family member that they like to have and have it there for them. Sometimes this is not a good idea as when you think you have done it just right, the comment is made that it is ok-- but not like what Mom used to make. But that is the chance you take.
It is good to have family and friends- I am going to brag here just a little bit. I have the best family anyone could wish for and wonderful friends. For this I am so thankful. I know many of you feel the same way towards your own family and friends. Please remember to let them know how much they mean to you this holiday season.

No comments: