Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell-- Nov. 13, 2007

Can you believe it is almost Thanksgiving? I am just getting over Independence Day. It seems that the stores buzz over Labor Day, Halloween, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving and right in to Christmas. I do, however, love the animated toys. One of my favorites is the grandma reindeer sitting in a rocking chair - she sings ‘Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer’ while actually rocking. My newest one is a caroling dog with a hat that resembles a spring with a bell on top and he sings a Christmas version of ‘Shout’. His ears flap while he sings- he is just precious. That was something that Dad just loved was toys that did some sort of action. Whether it is nursing puppies with a momma dog or a dancing hamster it was a delight to him. So I guess I have inherited that from him.
We are in the process of trying to find Christmas gifts for everyone on our list. Our list is not large but it does not take a long list to make you nervous. But the most fun is the shopping. I love to shop I can enjoy looking at almost anything. From farm tools to jewelry I am happy just to see what there is to be had. So that means that there is no place safe for Jim. He gets nervous anywhere I go- for fear of what I might bring home. I have brought home a live glass eyed colt, goats, calves, chickens, wallpaper, camo overalls, black powder guns, strange clothes, carpet, elk meat, just to name a few. There are so many things to see, but as Jim has tried to explain to me is that I do not need to bring all of them home.
When shopping with Jim it does not matter what I find he says, “I can make that,” or “you really do not like that, do you”, or “you can make that” or “That is made too flimsy I can not believe anyone in their right mind would buy something made that poorly”. All of those comments are well and good with the except of that he never has the time to make a solid wood bed frame, headboard and footboard with all kinds of fancy carvings or the solid wood table with the cowhide padded chairs. He swears that it would be no problem to make. Or picture frames that he says he can make it would not take that much time. The thing is, he can make all of those things except that there is no time for him to make them. That is one thing that I have not ever found was a box of extra time. Now that would be a hot seller- if only, we could just figure that one out.

No comments: