Tuesday, April 14, 2009

April 7, 2009

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell
There are several things that you do not want to be without during a snow storm. Even though last week I told you that I was convinced that Jim is trying to kill me; I would not ever want to be without his help or company. He is very helpful and resourceful in difficult situations. I have said many times that I married much better than he did.
Last week when the snow was deep - we were trying to get the tractor out to the alfalfa bales. Now this may not sound like a problem to some of you- but when the dog got stuck in a snow drift you can imagine how hard it would be to get a tractor around in the snow. As we were working on getting the cows fed, we heard the most glorious sound. It was the sound of the Comanche County road grader equipped with the snowplow on the front. I am not sure the County knows how much we appreciate all of their efforts. It was so wonderful to be able to get down the road. I thought that if we had had an emergency I do not know how we could have gotten help. Because there was no way to get out- we were really stuck. Since the county had cleared the road we decided that we could get to the cattle on the highway. The State road crew did a remarkable job, as well. Jim was ahead of me in the tractor and I was in the 4 wheel-drive truck with the cake and a bale of feed. I needed to get off the highway so I followed Jim into the pasture- not my best idea. I got stuck in the driveway of the pasture- this is when I realized that my 4-wheel drive was not working. A working 4-wheel-drive is a must in the snow and mud. So I was stuck and Jim was not entirely happy with me, I was not too thrilled either. Jim was getting ready to pull me out when one of the State road men stopped to see if we needed help or if we needed to use his chain. We had what we needed but it was a so nice to know that he was willing to help us out of a tight spot. He cleared a path for us which was most helpful and appreciated.
I have been known to give my son, Jeff, a really hard time, and I tease him unmercifully- But when push comes to shove I can count on him to help me out. After Jim went back to work I took the truck in to get the 4 wheel-drive fixed. Jeff and Tyson got the truck repaired - Feeling powerful once again I tried to go through a snow drift that I should have left alone. I buried the truck--- again- so I called Jeff and he came and pulled me out. His truck is not much to look at but it will do the job that needs to be done.
We were fortunate that we kept power and our phones. So with the power staying on- the phones were in working order- the County and State workers going beyond the call of duty- my husband helping me -my son willing to keep me going- What more could a girl ask for?

No comments: