Monday, August 21, 2006

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell 8-22-06

Do you remember the sad song they sang on Hee-Haw: “Gloom-despair and agony on me- deep dark depression excessive misery- if it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all- Gloom, despair, and agony on me”. This has been a sad week- I have decided that I am not a very good nanny. The one and only puppy that I had did not make it. I know that people say that animals are dumb and that they do not have the capacity to reason. I do not think that is true. The mamma dog has mourned her loss, even Jake, who is not the brightest crayon in the box, knows that something is not right. It has been a little depressing around here.
Jennifer and Giz are anxious to get settled. They have been living in our basement and we love having them, but I think that they are wanting to get on with their lives. We have been looking for homes for them. It is sad to see where all of the old homesteads used to be. You know, that in those empty yards their was a lot of happiness that occurred there. Little boys chasing their sisters with frogs and bugs. A young lady’s first kiss on the porch, the tire swing in the tree, if you were lucky enough to have a tree in the yard. Kids anxiously awaiting their dad to come home from a hard days work. There are some large homes that are now beyond repair but at one time they were quite a show place. I can not imagine how people kept up the yards with everything else that they had to do with out the modern conveniences, such as gas powered lawn mowers and electric hedge trimmers and edgers. At my house I would just as soon turn the horses out and let them graze in the back yard, not to mention, I just like to see them. The horses not only mow they also trim and fertilize all at the same time. When I was little when dad mowed the yard it was a scary thing to watch. Mom would make sure that I was in the house and away from the windows. Our mower was open all the way around the bottom and rocks, wire, twigs, dirt flew in all directions. Even when I saw that grass eating- stick throwing machine in the barn or garage I would keep a safe distance from it, I did not want to take any chances. With my luck something strange might happen and Dad would have said, “Who would have thought that would happen?”.

No comments: