Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell April 3, 2007

Spring has sprung the grass is rize; I wonder where the flowers is? However, I do know that the buzzards are back and have begun cleaning up what winter and the coyotes have left for them.
It is spring and what a beautiful spring we have in progress. Along with spring several things happen- In the movie ‘Bambi’ spring is the beginning of ‘twitterpaitting’ - That is when all of the animals fall in love. The tom turkeys are strutting and fanning those tail feathers. Mom went with me to feed the other day, there was a tom just strutting for all he was worth, and the hen was picking at the newly found green grass. She was not concerned at all by bothersome tom. But on the way, back he had called up another hen and she decided that she would rather eat grass as well. Mom and I felt kind of sorry for the poor ole’ boy. However, he did not look discouraged he knew that he would have his day.
Of course, the Junior and Senior Prom is going to be here soon. I just love Prom - I love to see the girls all dressed up in their beautiful dresses and the guys are so awesome in their tuxedos. What the kids choose to wear shows off their personality. Sometimes I think that we do not get all ‘gussied’ up often enough. Do you remember your Prom themes? Our junior year theme was ‘In the Land of Cotton’. But I am sad to say that I do not remember our senior year. I think when you are a junior you work so hard to try to make everything perfect and that makes lots of memories. And your senior year, you enjoy it, but you did not plan it and work on it for very nearly a year. I remember Jim and I was the band committee. Jim picked out the band and they charged $350.00 for the night. We did not have Project Prom in those days. I doubt that my Dad would have let me go if we did, as I was to be in by the hour of decency (midnight). Actually, I was to be home by 11:00- but under no circumstance any later than midnight. In our house, we had a large picture window that faced the driveway. From that window, you could see the car lights from the ‘high gate’. The high gate was five or six miles from the house. You could bet that Dad was watching for our car lights and those lights had better not stop. One time my date really did run out of gas and it was not five minutes before we saw his lights coming, and at a fairly rapid pace. The man that got out of the car was not the same man you all remember. But when he realized that, we really were out of gas he calmed down a little. It was a good thing that we had started to walk to the house on opposite sides of the road. This was not something that he found much humor in. You knew that he was not kidding when he left the shotgun by the front door when your date came to pick you up. In addition, the date had to come in the house, otherwise how would he know about the ‘decoration’ by the door. None of this honking when he got there and you go out. Dad said that he did not raise a daughter who would run out of the house at the sound of a car horn like a cow that comes to the feed wagon.
There is a new song out it is entitled “Ticks”. The chorus says that the boy would like to check this girl for ticks. I am think that if a guy would told Dad that he was just checking for ticks----- Actually- I am not sure what he would have done but I know that it would not have been pretty.
Back to Prom, I would like to caution all Prom goers everywhere. My Junior Prom was my first date with Jim. I was 16 and I thought that it was a magical night; it was everything that a girl dreams of. The reason that we went together was sort of an accident. Neither one of us had a date nor did we not want to go alone so we decided to go together. We dated from then on. Never broke up once. And so, here we are thirty-one years later. Because of our experience you had better be careful who your Prom date is, you just might end up marrying your date. I have always said that I married very well, but Jim, poor Jim, did not do so good.

No comments: