Monday, June 04, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell June 5, 2007

The puppies are here --- puppies are here!! I would like to announce that Senor Jake Pedroza and Sadie Mae XVI (Josie) are the proud parents of 8 little black bundles of wiggles and yelps four girls and four boys. They arrived May 31, starting at 3:00 a.m. and lasted until 1:30 p.m. This is my first real experience with puppies. It is so different from cows but not a lot different from pigs. I never paid much attention to the pigs process, when we had them, so I was a nervous wreck. But Josie was a trooper- luckily she knew just what to do. She was so calm and tended to business- The only thing is and I still do not know how you know when a dog is finished having her pups. I had gone to a Vet and had an ultra-sound done on Josie about a week before and they saw 7 puppies. Then I talked to another Vet and she told me that the ultra sound was not a for sure thing. And sure enough she was correct. There were 7 alright, but actually there were 10. When we got 8 happy healthy little creatures I thought we were done. They all weighed anywhere from 14 to 24 ounces each. I called my Vet and asked if I needed to bring Josie and the brood in to be checked over. She said that it sounded like we were doing well and with the distance we would have to travel and knowing that Josie hates to travel - she thought that everything sounded like we were doing alright. I love Vets that do not nickel and dime you to death. Josie was eating and the 8 puppies were nursing, life was good at the Blundell’s. Until-- 31 hours later when Josie was not looking so good and she went into labor again. Since I am new at this I called on my very patient neighbor- Andra Rickabaugh. Knowing that she has gone thru this before, she could give me a little advice. Andra was out- but Paul, the good man that he is, told me everything that I needed to do. Just as I got off the phone with him, Josie shelled out two more little stillborn fellows. I felt really bad that I did not know that there were more puppies in there. I guess that I should have gone with my first instincts and that was to take her in and have her checked out. I understand why some breeders just take the dog to the vet’s office and let them deal with the birth. But now Josie is doing very well and the 8 are strong and noisy.
We not only had puppies this past week we got a great nephew, as well. Mrs.Jason Crotts, which is Wendy, my niece, that was at Jeff and Chelsea’s wedding gave birth to a healthy-baby boy- Jackson Wayne. He weighed in at seven pounds and eleven ounces and was 21 inches long. Mother and baby are doing great. The proud dad, Jason, is doing fine, too. Wendy did not take any type of anesthetic what so ever. She is a great deal tougher than her Aunt Vanita that is for sure. Vickie is there to help Wendy for a couple of weeks. Vickie has another grandbaby on the way in Ruidoso. Michael and Hilary Widener are expecting their second child any day now. If you can trust the sonograms the Wideners are anxious to get the first little granddaughter- as of today have 4 grandsons. When you go to Vickie and Randy’s house and all of the kids and grandkids are there it is a busy place and now it looks as if it might get just a little chaotic. So between the Widener grandkids and the Blundell grand pups --Lookout world ready or not here they come.

No comments: