Thursday, October 25, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Oct. 16, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Oct. 16, 2007
People are made up differently- I am not a postal person. I really do not know why- I have been the recipient of many thoughtful and kind letters and cards in the mail. But the thing that really annoys me is chain letters. I hate to be threatened and that is exactly how a chain letter affects me. I know there are the neat recipe chain letters and if you do not break it you will receive all kinds of different- delicious recipes. There were the ones where you were to send a dollar bill to the person at the top of the list and it was guaranteed that you would receive hundreds of dollars for your one dollar investment IF no one broke the chain. Then there are the ones that would tell you that just by making twenty copies of the letter and mail it to twenty different people you were to have instantly good luck. If you were to break this chain you were doomed to all kinds of sadness and horrible luck. Why if you were to break the chain someone in your family might die. I have received two of these kinds of chain letters and the thing about them is that you do not know who sent it to you. The two that I received was when I was about 2 weeks from giving birth. I did not find any humor in the letters at all. Maybe some pregnant woman would find that entertaining, I was not one of them. In fact, I was upset and wondered where the letter came from. Since I have an awful time getting any letter to the mailbox sending chain letters are not one of the things that I do even if I could get it to the mail box. Now that the internet has come along and I really enjoy getting e-mails. I have received many funny and thought provoking items, but the chain letters are worst than ever. Now not only are you threatened that if you do not send the letter on to twenty different people you are either a bad American- unfaithful Christian- your selfish- or just an around jerk. Insulting me is not the way to my heart but it seems to work on some people. I guess that I have had enough bad luck without getting a chain letter that they do not threaten me as much as they might to someone who has lived a more sheltered life. The first one I got in the mail worried me a little- but after thinking about it and knowing that I had and all kinds of scary things happened before I ever received such a letter. I am, after all, the daughter of an accident prone farmer/rancher. My family could write a book on bad luck- here are just a couple- Never chase an egg-sucking dog in the barn - you might experience a great fall. Never grab a wire that is connected to the chicken house while riding on a horse bareback-you will having a shocking turn of events- I can tell you for sure both of these things are a painful experience whether you sent a chain letter or not.

No comments: