Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Feb. 3, 2009

Mom and I went to the movies last Saturday. I always think that we will go to the movies more than we do, but it seems that something comes along and we unable to go. I must say that our theater is so nice and I think that most of the credit must go to Debi Sherman. I hope people let her know that all of her efforts do not go unnoticed. She puts in a lot of time at the theater when she could be doing something for herself. So Debi- Thank you for all that you do to make Coldwater a better place to live.
I received a call from my Tuscan, Arizona friend- He was telling me that the Gem and Mineral Show is going on in Tuscan this month. He said that there are vendors from all over the world there to sell their products. He was telling me about all of the different and beautiful rocks and gems that would be there. I think that it would be fun to go to something like that and take in all of the festivities. My family has a love for rocks as well. My Granddad Cary loved rocks. So much so that he bought a rock saw and polisher and he had a little building just for his rock equipment. The little six sided building was known as the ‘rock house’ He had all kinds of equipment. He made jewelry and a paper weights with a pen attached to the slab of rock he had sliced. He would always have a pocket full of necklaces and bracelets that he would give to children and almost anyone who showed any kind of interest in the rocks he had set. When he went to the hospital he would tell Grandma to bring a certain piece of jewelry or paperweight so he could give it to a particular nurse.
I do not know much about gem and minerals but he taught me all that I know about rocks, and he had a way of making you want to know more. Grandparents have a way of teaching grandkids things where no one else would have a chance. Thinking about sitting in Granddad’s ‘rock house’ brings back a flood of memories. He would let me pick out a rock and he would cut it and then he would let me shape it and then polish it. Sometimes he would bring in a rock that he had found out in the pasture or wheat field and say ‘come on, let’s see what it looks like on the inside’. Usually it was prettier on the inside than the out - some were not so pretty on the inside but then there were rocks that were the same inside and out. Come to think about it rocks are not all that much different than people.

No comments: