Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Jan. 06, 2009

We have started a new year. I cannot say that I was unhappy to say good-bye to 20008. I think that this year will be one of new beginnings for all of us. I will not go into the president issues as I think that topic is totally exhausted. I was listening to the radio and they were telling about how part of the ‘bail out’ was being spent. It just made me angry and that is one reason I do not like to listen to the news. I know that it is like putting your head in the sand- but I figure that there is nothing I could have done before and there is nothing that I can do now- so I might as well get over it.
I can remember going to new year eve parties when I was a growing up. When Bernard Plumb was our minister - his family liked parties. His wife Betty was a wonderful cook and she always had good ideas for throwing a party. Of course, the rest of the church helped out a lot. We had new years eve parties at the church and at midnight the adults would let the kids ring the bell at the church. I thought that was really ‘cool’.
Thinking about all of those who were involved with the activities at the church I realize how many have gone on before us. Many of them I miss even though they have been gone for many years. I will probably write more as our church will be 100 years old this year and we are planning on a whing-ding, Memorial Day. Bernard Plumb was one of the first to call to see what he could contribute to the festivities.
We have started the new year off with a new puppy- I know that I was going to wait but I found a pup that I have been wanting and the price was right so we took an excursion and picked up our new addition. ‘Gus’ is a Bernese Mountain Dog. He has just turned eight weeks old and he is adorable. He is completely different than any dog I have ever owned. We had to leave him home alone Sunday and I told Jim if something would have happened to him while we were gone I would have to search the world for another one and no one would ever be the wiser.

No comments: