Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell March 20. 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell March 20. 2007
I have gotten a bee in my bonnet, so to speak. As I was out feeding the cows the other day, I listening to the radio. The DJ was talking about tough women. And what made a woman strong and resilient. He was telling about a woman coach that had a baby then five hours later, she was on the court coaching her team. When asked if she had an assistant who could have taken over- she said that she did. I think that he was wrong. I do not think that she was tough- just more interested in her job. But that is just my opinion.
To me a tough woman is like the woman whose husband called in and said that his wife was tough. As he was in the military- he could be and has been, called away at any given time. She did not know where he would be going or when he would be back and while he is gone she takes over raising their family and never complains- Now that is tough.
I have always thought that women who choose to accept harsh realities that she cannot change and make the best of the situation- Whether it is the poor health of a mate or herself- Or if life has just dealt her an unfair hand. Those are strong women.
I have always said that I would have died 3 days out of Boston in the pioneer days. I have always thought women back then had such a hard life. They had nothing easy. Everything worked hard. Mom would get on to me if I ever complained about the laundry. I know that it is silly to whine about it - especially when Mom had seen her mother carry buckets of water into the washhouse, heat the water, and scrub the family clothes on the board. They heated the water on wood stoves, which had to be cut and not by a chain saw. We will not even talk about the starching and the ironing. I have my washer and dryer close to my bedroom upstairs and I can fold my clothes as I watch TV in a temperature controlled environment. Most of our clothes do not require ironing. I have a dishwasher- a vacuum sweeper- I have a good life. And most of us do - I just wonder if we really appreciate what we have.

No comments: