Friday, September 28, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Sept. 25, 2007

Elk Season is going strong in New Mexico- I made it to the camp with eight hunters, one spectator, and seven guides. Since this is archery season it is more difficult to get the elk. The guide tries to call the elk within 50 yards or less of the hunter. Some of the hunters can shoot up to 65 yards, but most of them would like the elk 30 yards or closer. If the hunter has not ever been around elk before it is a little over whelming as the bull elk are in rut and they are bulging and screaming so when they come within 20 yards of the hunter sometimes he freezes and is unable to shoot the elk. But he has a great story to tell in camp. However, out of the eight hunters seven went proudly home with their elk and the other hunter had tales to tell of the ones that got away.
In camp we had two pharmacists, a dentist, a mechanic, a financial adviser, a tomato farmer, a deputy, a truck driver and a real estate broker. With all of the diverse ways to make a dollar we had plenty of interesting conversation. I can remember something that Rocky Stewart said ‘you learn more with your mouth shut than you do with your mouth open’. That is so true, one time in camp one of the hunters was talking about looking for sheds. I should have just kept quiet, but oh, no not me, I just had to put in my two cents and told them that Mom likes to look at different kinds to barns, as well. I had no more than said that than I knew that I had inserted my foot so far in my mouth I should have choked on it. They were talking about the antlers that the deer and elk shed every year. I was so embarrassed but I have learned my lesson. I am trying to keep some of my opinions to myself but there are times when I just cannot keep it in. Such as when one of the guides was telling us that his wife was about to deliver their third baby and the other guides told him that the third baby did not count and he was not required to be there. Where do guys get that kind of information? I just had to give them my opinion and did my best to shame all of them. The expectant father went home the next morning. Jennifer and Jeff say that I have a passive aggressive personality so I am good at giving guilt.
While I was away Jennifer sold a puppy for me, so I have 6 down and 2 to go. Life over all is good.

No comments: