Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Country Gal by Vanita Blundell Jan 30, 2007

Years ago when a woman reached a certain age or was in the ‘motherly way’ they were to be out of the public eye.
So I would like to have a word with all of you, who have a woman living in their household who is over the age of 35. Would you please stop telling us that we are emotional. My daughter tells me the other day that I should look in to getting some medication. I think that it is a shame that a woman over the age of 35, all of a sudden can no longer express her feelings whether they are happy, sad, angry or whatever, without someone thinking or saying that we are being unreasonable and that there is a pill that can fix us right up. I news for all of you pill pushers, maybe I am happy being an ‘emotional wreck’. When I tried to calmly explain this to Jennifer she would say in a quiet condescending voice, ‘that’s ok Mom’ or ‘now there you go again getting all defensive’. Of course, I am defensive; I have just been told that I am longer suitable to be in public without being medicated. I think for the most part I am a fairly logical person or as logical as I ever have been.
Then Jennifer informs me that I would feel better if I would medicate. She thought that she could show me another way that I could benefit from her pill pushing. Does she really think that she can tell me how I feel physically? I think that I feel pretty good. I have a few aches and pains- but who doesn’t.
I thought that maybe it was just me. But I was telling my sister, Vickie, about my dilemma and she was quick to tell me that she had made a terrible mistake by telling her husband, Randy, that if she ever was getting unreasonable, to tell her. She did not want to be one of those cranky old women who no one wants to be around. Well, that is a serious mistake that no woman should ever make. Since evidently that is just what your family is waiting to hear. We can not even express ourselves without one of our loved ones to instantly point out that we need to settle down and relax. There are times when we need to get excited. I thought that it is good to vent our thoughts and emotions. Then when we do- the kids roll their eyes, like we can not see that they are just patronizing us.
Perhaps we should ask our family how we are to react to situations, so that they are more contented with us- And maybe we should never go to bat for them- and maybe we should not care about anyone or anything since it seems to make others uneasy.
I will admit that I do have little temper tantrums- especially when it comes to working with the cattle- but they are no worst than when I man gets angry and proceeds to do whatever he does. But when I chase a cow around the pasture in the pickup, yelling at her, maybe even trying to do physical harm to her- I need a pill. I can tell you that when Dad was ranting and raving no one even dared mention that perhaps he was over reacting and to relax and everything will work out just fine.
Now that I have aired my thoughts- I should also say -I know that there are some good medications that have helped millions of women. And I know that there will come a time when I will probably be begging for a happy pill but until that time comes ---- I know- I know --- calm down everything will be ok.

No comments: